Each department is responsible for completing a Department Retention Schedule (DRS), which is an individualized retention schedule for the department based on the approved General Retention Schedule (GRS).
Who creates the DRS?
- Record Liaisons create the DRS with assistance from University Records and Information Management (URIM). To schedule a DRS appointment with the University Records Analyst, please click here.
- To start on a Department Retention Schedule (DRS) for your department, please click here for a printable PDF of the DRS worksheet.
Please call 2-2828 for help.
Why should our department create a DRS?
- The DRS enables departments to know what records they have, how long to keep them, and where to keep them. Following the DRS helps departments become compliant with federal and state laws and regulations, ensure that records of historical value are preserved, and records that have met their retention are destroyed.
- By managing records using the DRS, there is reduced risk to the University.
- Departments should review the DRS annually.
For an online module with instructions on completing the DRS, please click here.
For a printable PDF of the DRS worksheet, please click here.