URIM provides BYU departments the opportunity to store paper department records in the University Records Center. Temporary records are kept according to the Department Records Retention Schedule (DRS), and then are securely shredded after departmental approval.
URIM provides the following courier services at no cost:
- Submit a Box to the Records Center – Couriers pick up boxes from BYU departments and deliver them to the Records Center. Records Transfer Sheets are submitted by the departments using the online system located at urim.byu.edu. For instructions to the online system, select here.
- For security reasons, we ask that you do not write or tape anything on the boxes that would reveal the contents of the box. Our goal is the only identifier on each box is the object number and its barcode. When submitting multiple boxes, it is appropriate to place a sticky note on each box for identification purposes when transferring to the University Records Center. (i.e. Box 1, Box 2, etc…)
- Boxes and Folders can be requested by the submitting department on a temporary or permanent basis.
- When records are checked out temporarily, they should be returned to the Records Center in a reasonable timeframe, generally 2-4 weeks.
- When permanent check-out requests are made, the boxes and/or files are permanently transferred back to the submitting department.
- If a department needs to add a folder or other small item to a box, the file can be given to the courier without requesting the box beforehand.
- Return records – Couriers will return boxes of records and/or individual files to the Records Center when requested.
- Deliver empty boxes – Couriers will deliver empty boxes when requested. Please call the couriers at 2-2828 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Courier services are normally fulfilled before the end of the following business day.
The Records Transfer Sheet for each box submitted to the Records Center can be accessed using the online system at urim.byu.edu. For boxes submitted before November 1, 2020, Records Transfer Sheets can be accessed from the Records Liaison Hub. If a department needs to request a box from the Records Center, check the list of Records Transfer Sheets, which contain both the department’s number and the box (object) number.
For questions, please contact the couriers at email@example.com or at 2-2828. To request access to online Records Transfer Sheets, please contact the URIM Office Assistant at 2-1670 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty Leave and Research:
The belongings of faculty members on temporary leave may be placed in storage through BYU Physical Facilities.
Retiring faculty members may contact Dainan Skeem in Special Collections for potential accession of faculty papers into the Professional Papers Program.
- If the research was completed by faculty and is owned by faculty, it should not be stored in the University Records Center. If the research was initiated by a department and is considered to be owned by the department, it may be stored in the University Records Center.