- Records containing Personally Identifiable Information (PII) or Personal Health Information (PHI) are considered highly confidential.
- Records containing student information are protected by FERPA.
Protecting Physical (Paper) Records
- Highly confidential records should be stored in locked cabinets or rooms.
- Protect records by not leaving them in an open area when unattended by authorized personnel.
Protecting Electronic Records
- Access to confidential records should require the use of BYU NetId credentials, and should be encrypted.
- Portable storage devices containing highly confidential information should be kept in a locked cabinet or room, and should be encrypted.
Destroying Confidential and Highly Confidential Records
- Please see Record Destruction for more information.
For a pdf of the Record Types discussed in the Record Liaison training, please click here: Record Types